Monday, August 22, 2011

See no evil, hear no evil


Luke 11:34 “Your eye is a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is good, your whole body is filled with light. But when it is bad, your body is filled with darkness”


I’ve always believed that our eyes, ears, and mouth act as a window to our soul. I believe that whatever we take in, to flourish in us is what we would exhibit consciously or unconsciously.  It’s like telling a 5 year old to cover their ears when you don’t want them to hear you use foul language, because you know they would immediately repeat what you have said.  It’s the same pattern, when we see things on TV or listen to music and start repeating the same words in our every day lingo because what we have seen/heard has made an impact on us one way or the other.

I’ll give an example, when I first heard the Gucci mane song “Wasted” The intro of the song goes like this. (I’m sure a lot of you know it already but I just have to quote it so people understand what my point is in this message) Anyway so it goes “Rock star lifestyle might don’t make it. Living life high everyday click wasted…..party party party lets all get wasted”.
Now whenever I heard that song in clubs, literally all I wanted to do was get smashed. Like off my face. Simple. (I’m going to be honest with u guys. No point pretending or tying to put on “I am holier than thou” act, that’s not what this blog is about. It’s about me in transition to being a better version of myself and still showing my true colours, because change doesn’t come overnight it comes from within and of course when you constantly pray to God to help you find the calling he has on your life).
 This is just an example how words can easily leave an impression on us. This really got me thinking about the whole theory that our eyes and ears act as a window to our soul. I started to think, the things I allow myself see and listen to how does it reflect on my character? Does it influence me positively or negatively and how do I act towards others. For a while I’ve been thinking about this and we may not admit it but the music we listen too has such an influence on us. Especially in this day and age where we are just crazy over all sorts and we let song lyrics flourish in our lives. DON’T GET CONFUSED WITH WHAT I AM SAYING.

I love Music, and I have my selected artists, that I would go out of my way to learn the lyrics. I’m not saying oh don’t listen to this or that song, what I’m saying is sometimes there’s always some sort of hidden message in the things we listen to and the things we watch. Being young we love to be ignorant of a lot of things and our excuse is always that we are young hey so why not. I remember when I was much younger whenever there was a song I was listening to in the car and an adult happened to be there with me I would always turn down the music when it got to the swear words or when I knew the artist was talking about something inappropriate. I’m sure we have had those moments when our parents would say to us “what rubbish are you watching/listening too” and I just always thought omg take a chill pill it’s just music what’s the big deal. But now looking back, I see what the fuss is. You know there are songs out there that actually influence suicide. Music controls the emotions and sometimes there are certain songs that can make u happy, songs that make you want to cry, songs that just put you in a bad mood and songs that make you feel like your life is a complete mess!

I was thinking it’s so easy to remember what the lyrics to the new song is, but it’s extremely difficult to remember what the Bible says about certain things in the world because if I’m being honest, I don’t focus on God ENOUGH, and it is so bad. I try, like I really do but the “I try” is just not enough. I feel like God sometimes tries to speak to us, but we can’t hear his voice because our thoughts are clouded with rubbish from the junk we listen too and focusing on certain TV shows or meaningless gossip that add no value to our life. Remember I’m not saying don’t watch this or that because I know I’m going to keep listening to the music I love. This post is not to condemn music but rather to create an awareness of how the things we let flourish in us may kind of distract us from what God wants us to hear. Ecclesiastes 12:1-6 “ Don’t let the excitement of youth, cause you to forget your creator. Honour him in your youth before you grow old….. Yes remember your creator now while you are young”

Stay Blessed & Inspired
Zephia 

5 comments:

  1. Hey, I dont know you personally but I must say, this is very nice and true. I'm actually inspired by this post, especially the selected Bible passage. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! glad you found it inspiring :) Bless. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow am very moved by this post...Well done zephia this is very inspiring...KEEP US BLESSED & INSPIRED X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Samson! your words are really encouraging :)

    ReplyDelete